Monday, July 22, 2013

Michael Neale's The River ~ Reviewed


By Michael Neale
Published by Thomas Nelson
ISBN#978-1-4016-8848-6
301 Pages

Back Cover: 

You were made for The River . . ."

Gabriel Clarke was mysteriously drawn to The River, a ribbon of frothy white water carving its way through steep canyons high in the Colorado Rockies. From deep within, Gabriel's passion for The River was undeniable. The rushing waters beckoned him to experience freedom and adventure.

But something was holding him back-the memory of the terrible event he witnessed on The River when he was just five years old-something no child should ever see.

Chains of fear and resentment imprisoned Gabriel, keeping him from discovering the treasures of The River. He couldn't leave his past behind and remained trapped, afraid of the life awaiting him.

In this compelling story, Gabriel learns that letting go of the past means giving himself totally to The River-heart, mind, body, and soul.

Review: 

I’m thankful for the review copy of a book that felt like hanging out with a good friend. It also reminded me of how important water is to our lives; without it we quickly die, with it we thrive.

Take a peek at how the author describes The River, “it’s wild, free, and untamable. It’s foaming, twisting and thundering. There are places where the water shoots down into crevices and canyons and creates this amazing thunder and then there are places where the water settles into pools of complete calm…I love being with The River.

The River is Alive. The River is timeless, and its moving all over the world…The River can be known but not fully, therein lies the mystery. The River has a voice, and I love the way it sounds. When I’m with The River, I just know it’s where I’m meant to be. It touches something deep inside my soul. It connects me to a bigger story in some indescribable way…when I’m with The River, I feel Alive…I can tell you this from my journey: the more you experience The River, the more you want to stay closer by.”

The River definitely reminds me of our relationship with God our creator. I’ve given you a taste of the many pages this author writes about The River. This is a unique novel like Dinner with a Stranger and that of Tuesdays with Morrie. I think what the prologue says pretty much sums up the essence of this book. It’s a novel not to be rushed through but savored. The author states, “Every now and then, you have an encounter with someone who simply changes your life…you can’t get his (or her) story out of your head and heart.

It’s hard to explain how powerful stories can resonate within us on many levels but it’s often because of the way they speak with passion, heartache, or even joy. Maybe it’s the way they unknowingly reach into our heart of hearts with their words.”

This is one such story! You won’t forget The River or this journey!

Reviewed by: Nora St.Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins

No comments:

Post a Comment